The Eternal Glory Memorial was opened on November 6, 1957 in the Eternal Glory Park in Pechersk. The center of the memorial is a 27-meter granite obelisk, at the foot of which the Eternal Flame burns, surrounded by a bronze wreath of oak leaves. For the opening ceremony, the flame was brought from Mamayev Kurgan, the site of the Battle of Stalingrad, and Marshal Vasyl Chuikov lit the Kyiv fire with it. Today, the fire is lit only on days of remembrance of those who died during World War II.
The Alley of Fallen Heroes, the main military necropolis of Ukraine, leads to the obelisk. 34 soldiers are buried here: eleven generals, twenty-one officers and two sergeants of various nationalities, twelve of whom are Heroes of the Soviet Union. The remains of the fighters were transferred here from Askold’s Grave, the Botanical Garden and various corners of the capital. In March 2025, the memorial underwent a process of decommunization: the historically correct date of the beginning of World War II was set on the entrance group – 1939.